On May 10, 2011 Sr. Eileen and Sr. Anne attended a Consultation on Climate Change and COP17 organized by the Department of Justice and Peace of the Catholic Bishops Conference of South Africa .The Director of the Department is Mike Deeb OP, one of our Dominican Brothers .The three main Speakers were:
- Prof Mary Scholes. Her topic was “What are Climate Change and COP 17?
- Albert Nolan OP did a theological Reflection “Why is this Issue for us in the Church?
- Dr David Fig spoke on “What is a Sustainable Economy and how can we enable it to happen?
Brenda Martin facilitated a session on “Where do we go from here and how can we enable it to happen?”
The main aims of the Workshop (three similar ones will be held in other parts of South Africa.) are:
- Raising Awareness on Climate Change and COP17
- Inspiring Catholics to take Action during the COP17 meeting (e.g marches)during the COP17 Meeting i.e. putting pressure on the South African Government as well as other governments in the World to meet previous agreements from previous Cop Meetings .
One of the actions will be a “Green” Pilgrimage to Durban
This will involve a Cycle to Durban from Johannesburg.
Selected participants from different diocese will participate in a cycle pilgrimage to Durban. Along the way the group will run awareness campaigns at selected area… People will be invited to join the campaign and to join activities in Durban.
People will be transported by road to take part in a March and a Toxic Tour of Durban
During the Conference the following events are planned:
- November 27 an Interfaith Rally.
- A civil Society March on December 3
- A Christian Service on December 4